So here’s the thing… 2013 has been a BITCH of a year. Like, seriously…every couple of weeks or so something or someone has thrown a huge big spanner in the works of either my business or my personal life. HOWEVER, 2013 has also been one of the BEST years of this century for me so far… and here’s 13 of the best moments of my year.
There have been MANY more than 13 awesome moments but here’s my top 13…in no particular order…
1. January 2013 – Launching my first EVER 30 day nutrition program – NRG30 and ran my first ever groups from January through to March. I spent the back quarter of 2012 testing and re-testing and changing and re-testing this 30 day program to get it just right. I ran an information night where people who were interested came along and I presented to them my program. I was nervous but mostly excited because my first group of 10 people actually became close friends and some of whom I would now class as my best friends in the world! Inches were lost, fat was blitzed and the program was a huge success and carried on this way until August 2013.
2. Personal Training in Block 9 Health and Fitness and also teaching Body Combat there too. I have met some pretty inspirational people since starting to work there – including people who have since become great friend and colleagues. This gym is different to ALL OTHER gyms in the area in that the guys who run it are proper REAL people who are in it for real hard work and real results whereas the other local gyms are just full of egotistic trainers who like to stab each other in the back. Walk in to Block 9 and it instantly feels different, hard work is being done, real hard graft with functional training equipment and not an ego in sight (well, apart from maybe one of the other personal trainers but they don’t really count!). I can’t thank Nick & Paul enough for having me as a trainer and putting up with me over the past year. It’s been a great year for business and I wish them all the best of luck for 2014.
3. Seeing Rihanna live at Stadium of Light Sunderland with one of my best friends was by far one of the best moments of my year – if not of my whole LIFE! I had seen Rihanna before in Glasgow but this was a whole new level. We queued for nearly 9 HOURS and managed to get to the front of the stage right at the barrier – in front of 55,000 people. It was absolutely immense! Julie & I drove down to Sunderland and stayed overnight after the concert. It was just absolutely one of the best days EVER. Enough said!
4. Our 3 Hour Body Combatathon Event at Broadwood Stadium this year was another highlight. Almost 100 people signed up for this event in aid of Leukaemia & Lymphona Research and yet again this year it was a roaring success. Me and my team of instructors and also my friends worked so hard to make this event possible and I’d like to thank every single one of you for all your hard work. Rock on 2014 to make it even bigger and better than before!
5. My mum’s surprise 60th birthday party in the garden with all my family. It was hard to keep it a secret for so long but me and Katie my sister actually managed to pull it off!!! All the family and my friends attended and it was a great day. My mum Wee Jo looks awesome for 60 let’s be honest.
5. Seeing Rihanna at Manchester MEN Arena with my friends Niela, Sachin and Fawzia. YES – I went to see Rihanna AGAIN, and they BOTH make my top 13 moments of 2013 because, well, it’s true! We had a ball and again we queued outside the arena for HOURS, fought numerous hardcore Rihanna Navies for a spot at the front barrier again! We got to stand with Rihanna’s personal trainer, her makeup artist, her best friend Mel Forde and we even got made to dance by her hairdresser! It was fun. A day I will never forget!
6. Losing a teaching contract at a local leisure centre. Yeah I know you’re all reading this thinking… why is that a highlight of 2013?? Well let me try to explain. I’m awesome at my job, and although that might sound big headed, I’d like to think it was true. I’d also go as far as saying that my coaching when it comes to group fitness AND personal training is of the best in the area. Losing a contract that I had for over a year for classes I had built up from nothing, with regular customers who loved my coaching really tore at my heart strings. I even cried at the end of my last class there. Not because I was leaving the place, but because I was leaving teaching a class full of people who really meant a lot to me. BUT – the support I received in finding a new venue, and the overwhelming support I received from ALL of those class members in trying to reveal the truth in a somewhat conspiracy theory was absolutely amazing. To all those who fought for the truth to be exposed for me – I would like to thank you. I am a stronger person for it – and I have now risen WELL above it and I feel seriously positive that this move was one of the best moves I was forced to make in 2013. So to the person who lied about me, THANK YOU. To the person who fueled the fire – THANK YOU. May you make peace with your sad, pathetic lives. I have moved on.
7. My cousin Anna’s wedding at New Lanark Mill Hotel was by far one of the best moments of 2013 for me. Growing up together we were at times inseparable – from being mistaken for twins, to talking about boys (LOL) and more recently to “going out for dinner” and coming home 2 litres of red wine and a bottle of gin later. We’ve both had our fair share of dramas and I think it’s safe to say that neither of us have had an easy ride – but on that day everything just fell into place for Anna and it was perfect. Congratulations big cuz, at least one of us became sensible eventually! It was also just amazing to get away for a full 3 days to a stunning part of the world which just happens to be a half hour drive away. We hired a few water cottages along with the rest of my family, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends and it was so good to just chill out and enjoy each others’ company. These are rare occasions nowadays with all of our family lives and work loads. I am so thankful for this occasion.
8. Meeting Niela – we met in February as she joined my NRG30 program and I honestly can’t remember what happened after that other than within the space of a few weeks it was as though we’d known each other for years! She, along with my other two best friends Julie and Jen (who by the way I met in 2012! LOL) are the reason I am still sane today. I don’t think I really have to go into detail because we both know how much you have helped me and how much I appreciate it. Even if I am only your pal because you cook amazing food… but I’ve never actually told you that before…. 😉
9. My friends… I think this is a natural progression from number 8 above. Although I have a large circle of friends of whom I absolutely love to bits, I have three very close friends who know me better than anyone else in the world (apart from probably my mum!). For the first time in my life, I have people who I can trust with literally ANYTHING. Friends who are so genuine, trustworthy and would literally do anything for me at the drop of a hat (right girls??). I love you all so much you have no idea.
10. Meeting Nathan, Claire and Kate along with other trainers from AustraliaWOW! which has become a whole new world for me, and a whole new dimension to my business Walk the Talk Fitness. Thanks to Nathan Hague I have learned VAST amounts about online marketing, social networking, Facebook marketing, online personal training and also basic life stuff like how not to give a FUCK what people think about you, your business or your marketing. Oh and how could I forget he taught me how to be confident in front of a camera, what a green screen is and he’s also responsible for all my random YouTube clips too! Claire has helped me no end in setting up my online products as well as providing us all with holiday brochures for our AustraliaWOW world tour next year! And to Kate over on the Sunshine Coast in Australia – she’s like a clone of me on the other side of the world!! We have the same values, business mentality and sexuality – which, is of course important when you’re running the FIRST gay & lesbian ONLY health and fitness company in the WORLD! Proud to be a Pinkfitz trainer and can’t wait to meet you in 2014 when I hop over there to enjoy some outdoor beach workouts. Thank you for helping me take my business to another level.
11. Les Mills GFX03 in Sheffield in November was the highlight of my group fitness calender for the year. My third trip to England in 2013 (well, I didn’t get out of the country this year so this was the next best thing!) We had a fun road trip down to Sheffield and stayed for a couple of nights whilst attending a full day of group fitness classes with 1000 other instructors and participants. I took some friends with me too – it really was a challenging but fun day and we all had a brilliant time! BRING ON GFX04 in Glasgow in March 2014. Cannot WAIT!
12. My Les Mills GRIT & Sh’bam module training – okay so that’s technically two things but I’ve rolled them in to one. Les Mills GRIT was probably the toughest two days physically that I’ve ever had. My body was pushed well past its limit and I thoroughly enjoyed every single second of it. Secondly – Sh’bam module training – WHO WOULD’VE THOUGHT?? After a nervous start, I finished the two days feeling quite proud of myself that I could not only dance a wee bit, but also teach it and have fun doing it as well! The Sh’bam launch at Emirates arena in July was just awesome. Physical challenges are just the best feeling in the world. Thanks to Marcus and Trish – my trainers for both modules.
13. I have taken care of my body and my nutrition for the first time in my life. I undertook a course on advanced nutrition and weight management with Dr. Gary Mendoza and gained a level four certificate in this field. I can’t explain in words how amazing this course was and how big an impact it made on my life, and the lives of my clients. I have learned how to nourish my own body to provide me with optimal health and wellbeing for the future. I have also tweeked my own nutrition so that I can perform at my best level at all times. In my classes and in my own training.
Thanks for reading – next blog to follow with 14 big dreams and goals for 2014. I’ll finish off with a few photos from the past year….